It was only in the 19th century that the size of the Greek Catholic community, belonging to the parish of neighbouring Nyírvasvári, started to grow. As tradition has it, as long as they did not have a church of their own, they would have the Divine Liturgy celebrated at the Pócs Altar of the church of the Conventual Franciscans. Organising the parish began in 1921; after the independent parish was established, services would be held in a school chapel at first. The new church was built in neo-baroque style, on the basis of the design prepared by Géza Jármy, an architect from Nyíregyháza, and it was consecrated in 1932 for the first time. Because of a tight budget, it was planned without a tower; for the first consecration it was fitted only with a temporary ceiling. The church would be completed a few years later, and it was blessed again on 31 of October 1937. The high-quality carved wooden furnishings of the interior, the altar with a baldachin, the table of oblation and the pulpit, were made by Mihály Juhász from Máriapócs and his workshop. The altarpiece and the murals of the sanctuary were painted by Géza Szegedi Molnár, an artist from Budapest, between 1937 and 1943. He would complete the painting of the nave only in 1948. The two-tier iconostasis was designed and carved by Jószef Gergely; its icons were painted by Enikő Küzmös; it was consecrated in 1999.